the uk blog of recycled news, gadget tidbits, new media pipedreams, search engine marketing fluff and record collecting tales.

Monday, October 18

UK Music Hall Of Fame - Founding Members

Well seeing as I'm useless and missed the first episode before the repeat I'm gonna do a whilst stop run down on the program thus far, make vast generalizations, use huge brush strokes and generally question the logic of the 'Steering Panel' Behind the choices and in this post specifically the 5 artists that the Panel have chosen as founding members for the hypothetical Hall of Fame, the idea being that these sacred cows should be in there beyond any doubt, So lets have a look at the list.

The Beatles - I've seen a bit of debate in the blogosphere of late questioning the status of The Beatles, but in a TV program with a proviso of acknowledging the best UK pop music, its impossible to envisage the Beatles not being a "founder" (their words not mine)

Madonna - Now this one really did confuse me a bit, I'll touch upon the Eighties in more depth as I go through that episode, but really I can't see Madonna as one of the Five greatest artists of Pop, I can't help but wonder where it not for Michael Jackson's current legal 'difficulties' that this place was ear marked for him.

Bob Marley - At first I was a bit unsure of Marley being a shoe-in for the Five sacred cows but the more I think about it the more deserving I think he is, he music was great, he represented a whole musical spectrum, a whole country, a whole religion and 'No Woman, No Cry' is amazingly amazing.

Elvis Presley - Like it or Lump it we all saw this one coming, of late I've grown in my respect for Elvis, not only did he do the stompers, which I was too quick to dismiss he also did the heartfelt ones, @are you Lonesome' and arguably one of the best songs ever written 'Suspicious Minds' I mean that's up there with 'Tainted Love' 'Hey Jude' 'Heard it Through The Grapevine' 'Sittin on the Dock of the Bay' 'A Change is gonna come' and 'Positively 4th Street' (Blimey that list could keep going, I mean I've barely touched the eighties and none form the nineties..)

U2 - Now after Madonna being included this doesn't seem so crazy, I mean I like U2, I like them a lot but by including them you have to understand that it has been stated the are therefore better than Dylan, The Stones, The Kinks, Marvin Gaye, Otis Reding, Prince and Michael Jackson, I don't think they were the most accomplished Rock band of the Eighties or the Nineties, but I agree that they're probably more worthy than Madonna.

No comments: